Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 17, 2011

I'm going to be a Honeybee Keeper :)

I'm so excited. We're picking them up on May 20th. All 60,000 little bees. My dad spent this year preparing for them: making the hive and buying a Smoker, ordering our veils. I'm going to be a beekeeper. People don't know much about them really. I have done so much research, and I can honestly say that they are amazing creatures. They live in a perfect little world and I envy them.

A hive of bees will fly 90,000 miles, the equivalent of three orbits around the earth to collect 1 kg of honey. 

Honey bees communicate with one another by "dancing."

Honey is the ONLY food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain  life, including water. 

Honey speeds the healing process and combats infections. Bee stings are commonly used as a strong painkiller that helps people deal with arthritis and other pains.

Honeybees are incredibly intelligent and are born with a natural skill with mathematics.

It would take about 1 ounce of honey to fuel a honeybee's flight around the world.


Honeybees are responsible for approx 80% of all fruit, vegetable and seed crops in the U.S.

Respect the Bee.

 

2 comments:

  1. That's really cool. Hopefully you don't get stung too much.
    Oh and there's a book called The Secret Life of Bees that talks a little bit about beekeeping. It's a fiction book so that's not what it's really about but there is talk of honeybees and beekeeping and such. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book! Definitely one of my favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete